Oregon's 2016 Legislative session opens today. And it is slated to move at an unprecedented pace. We want you to stay up to date and involved as we work to bring supports to policy and budget decisions that will strengthen the independence, dignity, choice and safety of Oregon's seniors and people with disabilities.
There are many ways you can be involved.
- Campaign for Oregon’s Seniors & People with Disabilities Advocacy Day. On Thursday, February 4, the Campaign, a coalition of groups that are working to support senior and disability priorities, will be hosting their Advocacy Day. The focus of this day will be restoration of the Gatekeeper program funding, a community based program to help lower elder abuse. If you are interested in participating, sign up now at: HERE.
- Advocacy Check Ins. O4AD will be hosting Advocacy Check Ins during the 2016 session. There are two options to participate. We will have Room 350 in the Capitol (Follow this link to a map of the Capitol HERE) available on Fridays during the session for advocates to meet, chat or just take a break. We will hold our weekly legislative call from Room 350 – come on by for some snacks, to catch up on the session, to meet with legislators and listen in on hearings! 8 am - Noon.
- Legislative Conference Calls. We will also be hosting a weekly legislative conference call to update on the progress of the session. Our first Legislative Call will be
- Friday, February 5. 10:45 am. Call in: 1-866-200-5786. User code: 5055419.
- We will have calls scheduled each Friday (February 5, 12, 19, 26), tentatively at 10:45 am. Please use the same call in information. We will update weekly if the time needs to change!
- Check out the bills that O4AD is tracking. You can access our bill tracking report on our website. Go to O4AD > Information > Useful Links and Documents > February 2016. We will be posting updated lists here regularly. Go to the page by clicking HERE.
- Stay up to date with O4AD’s legislative updates via email. If you haven’t signed up, you can sign up today at www.o4ad.org. The sign up is on our front page! We will be posting our bill tracking lists, talking points and more!
- Forward updates to friends so they can sign up as well.
- Be ready to engage and advocate for the issues that affect Oregon’s seniors and people with disabilities. We need all of your voices! Stay tuned for targeted opportunities for engagement!
Oregon's Legislative Website also offers many ways to stay engaged and up to date. A few handy resources:
- Hearings calendar – schedule of when committee hearings are occurring. This is available via the O4AD website: http://www.o4ad.org/uploads/5/9/2/2/59228911/final_2016_joint_house_and_senate_committee_schedule.pdf
- Link to all bills: https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2016R1/Measures/list/
- Link to daily and cumulative publications – these are the daily schedules available in the capitol. With a one hour senate notice, they can change quickly but are compiled each evening and give an idea of what’s up the next day. There are also publications to note when a bill is on the floor: https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2016R1/Publications/SessionPublications
- Link to all Committee hearings (Referred to as Committee Agendas online): https://olis.leg.state.or.us/LIZ/Committees/Meeting/List
- Audio/Video – you can find all hearings here: https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/citizen_engagement/Pages/Legislative-Video.aspx
- If you are planning a visit to the Capitol, check out the Citizen engagement page to learn about navigating the Capitol: https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/citizen_engagement/Pages/Visit-the-Capitol.aspx
Please do not hesitate to contact O4AD with any questions or for information we can provide! 503.463.8692. firstname.lastname@example.org
Forward this to a friend so they may sign up for O4AD updates too!